Vichyssoise with Crispy Mushrooms
- 3 tbsps Butter
- 3 Leeks, washed, white parts only, roughly chopped
- 1 Idaho potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 cups Chicken stock to cover (about 1 quart)
- 1/4 cup Heavy cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 4 ozs Mixed cultivated mushrooms such as maitake, oyster and shiitake, cleaned and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsps Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Light spritz of lemon juice
- 1 tsp Chopped fresh chives
- 1 tsp Chopped fresh thyme leaves
In an appropriate pot, melt the 3 Tbsp. butter and add the leeks and potato. Cook on medium heat, stirring until the leeks are soft. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Turn to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are soft. Puree with a hand or regular blender until smooth. Add the heavy cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
Saute the mushrooms on high heat in the oil and butter until lightly browned and crisp. Season to taste with salt and pepper and spritz with a small amount of lemon.
To serve, divide the soup into bowls and garnish with the mushrooms, then with the chopped herbs.